No one wants their holiday season ruined by an unexpected fire or another safety hazard. The best way to avoid these problems is by knowing how to prevent them.
This is a season full of enjoyment, but it is also the time of year when people encounter some of the biggest safety hazards in their homes. Many of us don’t realize a safety hazard is present until it is too late and the fire department is dousing your Christmas tree.
Avoid a ruined night by keeping track of these and other safety measures.
- Keep your tree and other items away from your fireplace. We know that the image of a tree next to a fireplace is a cozy one but it is also a huge fire risk. Most fireplace manufacturers advise keeping your tree and other combustible items at least three feet away from the fireplace if you do use it.
- Keep two feet of space around gas-powered furnaces. The fireplace isn’t the only part of your home that needs some space. You should also keep the area immediately around your gas-powered furnace clear too. Having items stacked up around this system can create a huge risk of an overheated furnace and a bad house fire.
- Make sure you have a backup plan in case of an outage. Power outages happen. While you can’t control whether the power to your home goes out, you can be prepared for these situations. For starters, make sure you have flashlights and candles in the same area for easy access. If you have a generator, make sure to have it tuned up in case it is needed. Another important thing to remember is how to keep your home heated or at least keep yourself reasonably warm until the electricity returns. If things are bad enough, have a plan for somewhere else to stay until your home is safe to inhabit again.
- Know how to handle a gas leak situation. If you have a gas-powered furnace, fireplace, or any other gas-powered system in the house, you need to know the warning signs of trouble. A gas leak, if able to go undetected for long enough, can create health hazards and even prove deadly. Be on the alert for the smell of sulfur or rotten eggs, along with hissing noises, as these may be signs of a gas leak. Additionally, check in with yourself too. Headaches, fatigue, nausea, and lightheadedness may indicate carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Schedule all Bellevue heater services with a trained professional. The best way to avoid a problem is to prevent it, and that is exactly what maintenance can help you do. When a technician provides maintenance for your furnace or heat pump, they will be able to identify and address any issues that could become safety hazards down the line. What’s more, heater repairs and replacement, when needed, will prevent safety hazards from posing a major threat to your family. Expert service saves you time and money while helping your peace of mind.
Let’s work together to keep your home safe and comfortable.
Schedule your heater services with WSB HVAC. Connecting you to comfort since 1979.